Parts of the present mill date from about 1720 when the mill would have been operated by a miller and one assistant.
An internal waterwheel powered the mill stones and produced coarse wholemeal flour.
About 1830 the mill was extended and a steam engine was installed which increased output and allowing the mill to be used during periods of drought.
During the 1920s the steam engine was replaced by an oil engine which was housed in a new lean-to extension.
After WW2 the mill owner installed electrically operated grist mills, grinders and mixers. These together with water driven stones produced animal feed which was supplied to local farmers.
In 1957 the waterwheel stopped turning and from then on the mill was used for grain storage.
In 1994 the mill was sold to Essex County Council and the restoration project began and continues today.
The waterwheel which was rebuilt was finally turned again in 2008 and is an undershot wheel; fed by water passing below the axle centre of the wheel shaft, driving the upright shaft and the gearing which turned the millstones.